Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Massacre in Bahrain


"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
Purported speech to Congress, January 7, 1790 in the Boston Independent Chronicle, January 14, 1790.

    I spent yesterday networking my new Twitter account (XcommonsenseX) with translucent information sources. The point of this account is to find the truth and share it with the world. Freedom of expression is a lost art form.
    One of the many sources I added yesterday had posted a link to a ustream live feed from the Pearl roundabout in Bahrain, one of many now ongoing in the arab world. This feed was of was a peaceful protest by the people of Bahrain. You can see in the below picture that there was no malicious intent being demonstrated  by the protesters. They were merely trying to have their collective voices heard, a matter of free speech.
image

    I left the feed up when I decided to go out and get some dinner. In retrospect I wish I hadn't gone when I did, because I missed the start the massacre of those peaceful protesters. The first thing I noticed when I returned was that the live feed had ended and I was left with a black screen on my monitor, an ominous sign. Police forces, possibly backed by the military, stormed Pearl roundabout shooting mass amounts of tear gas, rubber bullets and buckshot. This attack occurred at 03:00 am local time, most of the protesters were asleep. The attack happened so fast and without warning, that many children were left in tents sleeping while their parents were fleeing for their lives. A good part of the night families were divided as parents desperately tried to find their children.
Here is a video of the protesters chanting peace just moments before the police launch their tear gas attack. 


    One woman in Bahrain started tweeting as she left her house franticly going to the Pearl roundabout looking for her sister. She exclaimed she would never have left her sister there if she thought the government would attack the peaceful protesters. She drove through the masses that were fleeing the demonstration and took this picture.

image

The gas used was excessive, as was the force. The woman did find her sister at the hospital, which is where the story next leads.
    The crowds made for the Salmaniya Medical Complex where over 300 people were injured and 3 were declared dead. Over the next 3 hours multiple people were tweeting that they were surrounded at the hospital by police/troops and were expecting an attack at any moment. The official statement from the government was that they were trying to break up the protesters at the hospital, but how can the protesters leave if they are surrounded? A few tweets report of gas being used near (in?) the hospital. Also there were reports that the crowd managed to trap a policeman and beat him. 
    A doctor that was called in to help with masses of wounded was stopped at a roadblock and beaten until he lost consciousness . Instead of being able to help, he became a victim. He got off easy in comparison to others...
image

  This is 1 of 3 reported killed. There are rumors of a 4th, an 8 yr old girl, but that death has not been validated yet.  I was unable to stay up any longer to see how this drama at the hospital ended. I will leave that part of the story to someone else to share.  
    Strangely enough I found it odd that #bahrain was NOT trending on twitter during this attack. Monitter was unable to keep up with the tweets and was in a state of constantly scrolling. I am fairly certain that it comparison to those topics that were trending, that it was more active. It seems a bit suspicious to me... On another note, not once did #foxnews or #cnn or #msnbc cut in to programming to cover the story... not once. You wonder why Americans don't care? It's because they are kept in the dark by the authorities. What easier way is there to keep the masses suppressed than to deny them their right freedom of expression through censorship. The truly sad part is that the citizens in America are to busy with electronic addictions to care whether they are being censored. To busy playing with their droid phones and online games and sporting events to even notice they are being stripped of their rights, like a frog in a pot being slowly boiled.
    On the good side I found several translucent sources for news that I was not aware of before. The most surprising is Al Jazeera, a news source that Americans are taught as being ran by terrorists. I can say with confidence after watching several hours of Baharain coverage that they are a unbiased news medium that deserves to be followed. They were constantly interviewing normal everyday citizens that are on location, giving an emotional and honest view of the events happening around them. Thats all that we ask as world citizens... non-manipulated news sources. Why is that so difficult to find?
    On a final note, my heart goes out to everyone that was impacted in last nights attack and massacre in Bahrain. I hope that families are reunited and that the martyrs did not die in vain. I hope that you can regain your voice and get the changes in your government that you deserve. I will do what I can to help by spreading the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment